Virtualisation

Blackshaw

Virtualisation

Post by Blackshaw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:49 am

Does anyone have any experience of running KCML applications on Virtual Machines ?

Regards

Bob Blackshaw

lammy

Re: Virtualisation

Post by lammy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:05 am

We have kcml running successfully within both VMWare and VirtualBox virtual machines internally.
lammy
K8 Developer
Kerridge Commercial Systems

PeterCameron

Post by PeterCameron » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:05 pm

No problems here running in VMWare.

Greg Pack

Virtualisation

Post by Greg Pack » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:23 pm

We have clients running KCML 6 over SCO Unix Openserver 5.0.6 and they have expressed an interest in virtualizing their systems over VmWare or Hyper-V or possibly another hypervisor.

Could you help me with some questions? There is little information on this subject. My questions are:

a) Do you run into a problem licensing KCML 6? Do you have to re-run getid to get it to license on a VM?
b) What platform did you do it on? We are mostly UNIX. Are there considerations for virtualizing KCML on SCO Unix 5.0.6?
c) What else do I need to be aware of to make it work?

Your response is much appreciated.

Regards,

Greg Pack

lammy

Post by lammy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Greg Pack wrote:a) Do you run into a problem licensing KCML 6? Do you have to re-run getid to get it to license on a VM?
b) What platform did you do it on? We are mostly UNIX. Are there considerations for virtualizing KCML on SCO Unix 5.0.6?
c) What else do I need to be aware of to make it work?
Hi,

a) Yes licensing will be an issue. The GetID will definitely be different even for a P2V virtual machine due to how the GetID is calculated.
b) In house we run KCML on a CentOS VM on Linux boxes. I haven't had any experience with SCO Unix so can't help with that I'm afraid.
c) From my experiences of running KCML in a VM, very little. But I should stress my KCML VM experience is from that of a development environment and not a production environment.
lammy
K8 Developer
Kerridge Commercial Systems