Does KClient work with 64bit Windows?

simong

Does KClient work with 64bit Windows?

Post by simong » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Hi guys,

A quick question here - I'm sure it does but does KClient 6.00 work with 64bit Windows?
Anyone experienced problems on Windows 7 64bit?

Looking at the Downloads section on www.kcml.com it doesn't have a seperate install for 64bit, but there is a KClient Shell extension for 64bit windows - what ever that is for? Will this be required?

Thanks,
Simong
---------------
Simon G.
KCML Developer
---------------

''A computer programmer is someone who, when told to ''Go to Hell'', sees the ''Go to'', rather than the destination, as harmful.''

Ruud

Re: Does KClient work with 64bit Windows?

Post by Ruud » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Hello Simon,

This extension is indeed needed. I use 64bit Windows 7 for about a year now and haven't run into any problems with KCML. The only disadvantage is that after installing you can't get to the kclient properties anymore so if you need to change something you should make a new kclient connection to replace the previous one.
I seem to recollect that the portnumber is no longer available as a seperate field in the property so you should use servername:portnumber for the connection.

Ruud

simong

Post by simong » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:09 pm

Brilliant!

Thanks Ruud ;)

Simon
---------------
Simon G.
KCML Developer
---------------

''A computer programmer is someone who, when told to ''Go to Hell'', sees the ''Go to'', rather than the destination, as harmful.''

Pete G

Post by Pete G » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:31 pm

Hello Guys,

Just got our first Windows 7 64-bit PC, and run into the same problems with changing properties. In our environment it was more of a headache, as we need to set the terminal number using the answerback field.
However, after a bit of digging on one of our WIndows XP machines to find out where Kclient stores the field, and applying the same logic to Win 7, I came up with the following:

- Right click on your Kclient icon (usually on your desktop)
- Click 'open with' and select your favourite text editor. As I found out, the Kclient is a simple text file.
- At the top you will see the host name or IP address of your server. After the address, type the switch: -a <terminal number> (be sure to leave spaces between the server address, the -a and the terminal number).
- for the service port, same principle: -v <service port>

I'm sure the principle follows for any other property you were previously able to change under older versions of Windows.