Another introduction

New to kcml help? Introduce yourself here!
Ruud

Another introduction

Post by Ruud » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Great to stumble upon this forum. All of a sudden I find myself less alone.
Without trying to promote myself I think the idea is to tell something about my KCML experience so you can see if I know something of use to others.

I am Dutch, having a long experience with KCML. I beta tested the windows implementation and helped introduce Kerridge in the Netherlands. There are some 100 users in 3 companies that use my software which was written apart from my daytime job (running SCO unix, implemented on an RS/6000 and later ported to a Windows environment.
Specific knowledge is in communicating with Office (Excel, Word, outlook). For sending mails however I always use CDO as the outlook client is not always available on the server where KCML resides as is the account running KCML.
I've also written a few websites that rely on KCML and KISAM data for their information. These sites require login apart from a small basic setup on www.hartweekspijkenisse.nl (in Dutch) where the contact page is generated by KCML.

Don't hesitate to ask. I sure will seek your help where available.

PeterCameron

Re: Another introduction

Post by PeterCameron » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:12 pm

How are you able to generate the contact page with KCML. Are you using the mod_kcml that is not avaiable from Kerridge any more?

Ruud

Post by Ruud » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:48 pm

I don't 'use anything fancy. Here's the setup

I install apache (from xampp) and add lines AddHandler cgi-script .cgi (which probably is there already) immediately followed by AddType applicaton/x-httpd-kcml .kcml
Be aware that this is not the way the manual describes how it should work. I never succeeded the formal way.

In the cgi-bin directory i place the bootprogram which reads:
PRINT "Content-type: text/html"
PRINT
{do some initialisation such as reading registry and setting up global variables}
LOAD "startprogram"

The browser is usually set to an index.html which displays pictures, text etc but also a link to the kcmlprogram. Let's assume
<a href="../cgi-bin/webstart.kcml?argument">Text</a>. Pressing the word Text now brings you to the program.

This program reads the environment variable QUERY_STRING in which the aforementioned argument is stored. Environment variables are also used to pass back to KCML any data that may have been entered.

If you need further information we should probably start a new thread away from the introduction area or feel free to mail me at ruud@vandekampnet.nl

From there on there is nothning more to do then print html coding to your /005 device and $END the program when you're done. Lo and behold the browser displays everything.

This of course is the simple stuff. Setting up authorisation, differentiate between the various browsers, making sure that several PC's can use the same IP address and so on complicate things and it took me quite some time to solve these issues. By now I also have an application running that is completely generated by a self written content management system, that is maintainable by the application manager which caters for complex decisions and that is aware of differences between IE7, IE8 and Firefox. It extensively uses javascript so just browse the internet for any goodies that you might want to apply.

By now I start to think about implementing SMS alerts as well. A user may indicate that he wants to be notified of a certain event and I intend to do that from KCML using some SMSservice.

PeterCameron

Post by PeterCameron » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Ruud,

Thank you for sharing this, really interesting ans useful, more simple that I has supposed as well.

I think this is definatley worthy of a new thread. I am going to install Apache this evening to see if I can get anywhere using the same technique.

How does this work with regard to licensing? Does each PC accessing KCML via Apache use a license?